Little Rock, AR 72210
SCR #17, Youth Bird Contest -All poster entries submitted to SCR Bird Chairperson, Clara Bishop of OK.
SCR Bird of the Year will be announced at the beginning of each SCR term by the Bird Awards Chair and published in the Communicator and on this website.
1. All entries must be sponsored by a local Garden Club.
2. Posters must feature the "SCR Bird of the Year" - 2015-16: Male Cardinal
- 2016-17: Great Horned Owl (male)
3. Posters by students from 1st -5th grades.
4. Material may include: crayons, markers, poster paints, water colors, etc. Paper choice up to student, 11 X 17 inches in size.
5. Place on back lower right corner of poster: Student's name, grade, sponsoring club, and name, address, phone#, and e-mail of contact club person. Be sure marker does not bleed.
6. States submit poster entries to state Bird Chairman no later than 1/24. State chair submits the 5 winning posters (one for each grade level) to Regional Bird Chair by 2/15.
7. Scale of points: 25 pts. for each of the following: Originality, method, artwork, and overall effectiveness of the piece.
8. Copy winning posters as they will not be returned.
9, Posters may include artwork pasted upon a 2nd piece of paper. No 3D allowed.
SCR #18,Youth Essay Contest - Theme for 2015-2016 is
"Don't Let the Frogs Croak." Open to students 9th -12th grades. Length of essay: Between 600-700 words. All words counted. Must be typed and titled.
Sponsored by single garden club, group of member clubs, councils or districts, state garden clubs. Entries become property of NGC. $1,000 NGC scholarship awarded to 1st place winner. If underclassman, this is held until student enters college. 2nd place winner receives $100.
Deadlines: Send entries to State Chair, observe state deadlines. State Chair sends to Region's Intermediate Youth Activities Chairman, by 1/1. Regional winners are sent to NGC Chair by 2/1.
Essay Theme for 2016-2017 is
"We Need Our Pollinators"
SCR #21, Smokey Bear/Woodsy Owl Poster Contest: Send entries to designated SCR Chair. Must be sponored by a local garden club. Posters must feature either character, but not both. Clothing color must be accurate. For students 1-5th grade. Poster size, 11 X 17 inches. May use crayons, markers, poster paints, water colors. Students choice of paper. Place on back, lower right hand corner: name, grade, sponsoring club, local club contact person and address, phone #. State Chairman submits 5 (one for each grade) to Regional Chair by 2/15. Scale of pts: 20% for each: originality, design, slogan, artwork, and overall message.
SCR #19, Youth Poetry Contest - Entries submitted to SCR Youth Poetry Chairperson.
Theme for 2015-2016 is "Croaking Leaping Frogs".
Theme for 2016-2017 is "We Three: Bee, Butterflies and Me".
Eligibility: Kindergarten through 9th graders, all students including Resource, and English as 2nd Language. All entries must be typed and titled. Include name, address, age, grade, school of participant on back of entry. List sponsoring garden club and state federation. All entries become property of NGC. Poems do not have to rhyme. May be traditional verse, acrostics, blank verse, cinquiains, diamond poems, limerick or Haiku.
Scale of Points: 10pts, title; 40 pts., content; 30pts, creativity; 20 pts, style.
Entries to State Youth Chair, observe state deadlines. State winners to Regional Junior Chairman, Jan. 1. Reg. winners to NGC, Feb. 1.
SCR #20, Youth Sculpture Contest - Entries submitted to SCR Sculpture Contest Chair. - To encourage youth to keep our planet green. For grades 4-8th. Sculptures to consist of recyclable, reused, and reduced materials. Width can be no more than 8 1/2 X 11 inches. Height shoud be in proportion to width. Entry form on NGC website, www.gardenclub.org
Place two 4X6 photos of sculpture on back of entry form. Send entries to state Sculpture Chair by state deadline. States send to regional chair by Jan. 15. Regional chair sends to NGC chair by Feb. 15.
Little Rock, AR 72210